Fruit and Oatmeal Breakfast Bars – Morning on the Go
Prep time: 15 mins, Cook time: 60 mins, Total time: 1 hour 15 mins
· 2½ cups rolled oats
· 1 apple, cored and relatively finely chopped
· ½ cup brown sugar
· ¼ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
· ¾ cup mixed dried fruit (I use a combination of dried mangos, blueberries and cranberries they sell at Trader Joe’s)
· ½ cup toasted slivered almonds
· pinch salt
· 1 tsp. ground dried ginger
· 3 cups milk
· 2 eggs
· 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
· ½ teaspoon almond extract
1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9×13 Baking Dish. (I use Baker’s Joy or Pam for Baking, which include flour)
2. Combine oats, apple, brown sugar, coconut, fruit, almonds, salt and ginger in a large bowl.
3. In a small bowl or measuring cup, beat together the milk, eggs and extracts.
4. Pour the milk mixture into the oat mixture and stir well to combine (It will look more like muesli in milk than anything like batter). Pour into the prepared pan.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes. Let cool, cut into bars, wrap and store.